Monday, September 3, 2007

The First One is Done!

Voila.. its a toe up sock on my new sock blocker! I think I should have made it taller but it will do as the first time. I really really really like this style - think it looks better than the first two socks I knit from cuff down. And I think it fits better




I followed the elastic bindoff in the Sockknitter.com tutorial - which is an adoption of the E. Zimmerman technique. So easy - use yarn needle.. put thru two stitches purl wise from right to left - then thru first stitch knit wise from left to right and take that stitch off the needle - except for the first time where you put it on the needle to the right. Very stretchy. But I should have used more yarn - it was getting close to the end.



So now to sock two plus I plan to use my wooly board tomorrow on my Kauni. Photos coming on that! I love taking vacation.

2 comments:

Michelle Martino said...

Fantastic! LOVE the color choice of the socks... I love knitting socks (terrifically portable) but have never attempted toe up.... not mindless enough... which way do you think you'll stick with?

RickiLynn said...

Thanks Michelle. I have only knit 2.5 pairs of socks in total - I just learned Cuff down last April when I visited my sister, knit two pairs, and now I'm doing the toe up. I really like the toe up technique since I hate to do grafting and picking up the stitches around the heel flag.

I do think there are still "mindless" sections for toe up too. Actually the same ones but you are moving in the other direction. LOL!

I think I will stay with toe up from here on. Mainly cuz I want to start using the fancier sock yarns I've bought (like STR) - and I want to make sure I don't run out of yarn.