Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Joys of Being Vertically Challenged

Yes I am vertically challenged. At last measure - I was 5 foot 1 inches tall. So I would consider myself to be petite. Yes?? Well as I was trudging along around row 25 of the Bee's in Field Part 1 of my Beehive shawl (near 400 stitches per row at this point) with 11 more rows to go, looking forward (not) to starting the section called Bee's in Field Part 2 (which is more of the same), I made a delightful discovery!

Anne provided alternative directions for petites versus talls. Well - I'm definitely not a tall. For the petite size, it meant I only had to knit 5 more rows of Bee's in Field Part 1, SKIP SECTION BEE's IN FIELDS PART 2 ALTOGETHER (YAY!), and go directly to the last section - which is the hem - do not pass go, do not collect $200. How many ways do you spell relief!! Not that I don't love this shawl but its getting so its taking me 45 mins to knit one row. And I would really like to knit something else at some point in time.

So here I am at the end of row 27:



And a closeup of Bee's In Field Part 1 (it really is pretty):



And - I know - I haven't blogged for awhile. I do have many excuses:

1. disgust with my knitting after the fiasco with Tidal Streams. Actually I did pull the yarn and the pattern out of the garbage, ripped it out to selvage the yarn, and plan to eventually reknit it alternating skeins.

2. I had to rip out 12 rows of my Beehive shawl and really didn't want to admit that it took me 2 weeks to get that back.

3. I spent time on my Kindle.

4. And mostly - I have been kinda depressed about the prospect of going on strike duty. I work for a unionized company and if and when the union goes on strike, I have to leave my happy home and work 12 hr days, 7 days a week. The last time it happened they assigned me to work from noon-midnight (me who normally goes to bed at 7:30PM). I was so worn out I collapsed one night and they had to call in the paramedics. My blood sugar was down to 30. This time I am assigned to work 7AM -7PM in Salt Lake City so it will easier if it happens but it is still a pain in the you know where. Being single - I have to make so many plans. I cannot just behave like it won't happen. So if I'm gone for the next few weeks - that is what happened to me. The contract expires at midnight Aug 16 (next Sat) - so say a little prayer for me and maybe I will be here next Sunday!

No comments: