Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Delightful Day!

I finally made it to the Denver Creative Festival on Friday and had a wonderful day! I spent more $$ than I was going to but had a great time.

I met Anne and Eugene Bourgeois - the owners of Philosopher's Wool and took her class.

They took a photo of me (I hope I was smiling OK) and I asked a nice lady to take photos of me along with Anne and Eugene. Here is me and Anne (I'm the one with funny thing going on with my smile.. now how did I do that?) and yes I am wearing her Traditional sweater in Colorway Deep Sea:



Here is me and Eugene. He suggested that - instead of using my Addi 16 inch circulars for my sleeves (which cramp my hands) - to try the 2 24 inch circulars (like they do for socks). I will try that for my next project.



Both of them are delightful.. I brought my Southwest and asked Anne about the vertical bands I saw in the sections which contained purls. She told me that they added interest to the sweaters and not to worry about them. She signed my book:



Her only suggestion was to go down more in size when I do my button bands and collars.. since mine gape and would eventually get worse. Then I bought another one of their kits (this is their new pattern Light And Easy in Hollyberry - so pretty). They gave me a free tote bag as well as their Shawl book since Eugene said - being so petite - I must have a lot of extra yarn left over after I finish a sweater. Yep!



But to my surprise - there was more at the Festival.

I met Cheryl Oberle of Folk Shawls fame - she is writing a book called Folk Jackets. I told her that my sister and I had made her peddlers shawl together. She asked if they were red.. I said yes - of course! I ended up buying her Celtic Roses pattern (so pretty and it won't be in the book):



I tried it on in blue but decided that I preferred her pink/purple yarn. This yarn is wonderful - very soft with very saturated colors:



And there were so many sewing related booths.. I didn't think I would be tempted..but then I found Faux Chenille. You layer fabric - put tissue on top with stitch lines, sew through all the layers and then cut the top layer between the stitch lines.. It turns into this wonderful chenille like material. It was so amazing. You really have to see to believe. Here is the purple/red silk fabric which is layered over black rayon. I purchased a pattern for a short collared jacket with vertical stripes (501 on her website):



Here is Nannette's website on Faux Chenille

So it was a wonderful day for me. It was good to be inspired by sewing again. Its been a long time since I've done much with it other than steeks.

And I jumped back into my Southwest. I'm about 3 inches away from starting my armhole steeks. I'm psyched!



Now if I could only stay home all the time and work on my projects. And for those who are wondering why I am buying more kits.. I sold about 8 of my kits on Ebay over the last month so I feel justified. Hah!

No comments: